free logo design

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie

I know I am a tad bit obsessed with pumpkin right now, but it's just the perfect food.  I won't even mention the vitamins and fiber, and naturally sweet flesh...it's just plain scrumptious.  So I tried out a recipe that blew me away last night.  I adapted it from gluten free goddess, (love her!)  It's great because I don't even have to mess with the crust, (not my favorite part of baking.)  It creates it's own delightful hint of a crust that dares you to have another slice.
Go ahead.
Bite into it.
It's such a sexy pie.
Plus, I broke down the calories, (because I couldn't resist,) and guess what?  Only 150 calories per slice, 4.6 grams of fat and 2.5 grams of fiber.  If you're doing weight watchers, this is only 3 points per slice.  Yumm.  So this is like marrying the hot guy, who loves kids and you and is handy around the house.  (Basically, my husband.)

Without further ado, the best part of Thanksgiving...
Pumpkin!

Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Makes 8 slices


15-oz can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups almond breeze vanilla milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
3/4 cup organic light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease pie pan.  Blend all the ingredients together in a stand mixer until luxuriously smooth.  Pour into pie pan and bake for just under an hour, (until the edges are brown and the top is firm.)  Let cool slightly to allow it to set.  Enjoy.

The texture at first made my husband wonder if it needed more time.  But the pie sets beautifully, with a wonderful silk texture that will win even the most critical pie eaters. 
Pumpkin on FoodistaPumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment