But as an eternal example of God's grace, I now have a free standing Kitchen Aid mixer and so I am able to make marshmallows.
This is really great news since we've cut out processed sugar and had to switch to honey. I found a recipe that uses only honey, gelatin, small amounts of powdered sugar, salt and vanilla. After reading stories online, I got nervous. Everyone talked about the mess, the strings, the sticky goo that gets everywhere.
Visions filled my head with a cross between "The Blob" and an episode of "I Love Lucy" gone horrible wrong. I was beginning to think this was maybe not the best idea.
But my love of marshmallows took over and I took the plunge.
It really wasn't hard.
A few tricks:
- Line your 8x8 pan with wax paper or parchment, and oil it well.
- Oil your spatula when you scrape out the bowl
- Don't stick your fingers in to taste
- DON'T stick your fingers in to taste...
- and don't forget to keep your fingers out of the tasting bowl
By the way, I subbed the sugar/cinnamon mixture she uses for powdered sugar.